First, a few words about why links are important. If you have a website for your business or venue you most likely want people to find you on the net as often as possible. It is great if people know that you have a website and go there by typing your URL directly in the browser. But what if these people just came for a visit from out of town and Googled or Yahooed “best pub in Toronto for over 40 crowd” or “limousine service in Hamilton”? Is there a chance your website will come up in search results?
Most of search engines put you on the top of search results based on how much you paid for keywords or how many back links you have to your website from other relevant websites. The theory behind this is that Google and its peers think that the more people link to you (thus talk about you on the net) the more important you are. Everything is even more complicated as search engines like relevant links. If you are a DJ for example and someone back linked to you from their Shore Repair website or some completely irrelevant place this link won’t be considered by search giants. So, you need to have as many RELEVANT links as you can.
If you would like to learn more about link building, we recommend reading the Search Engine Watch magazine or starting with the Link Building 101 article. In a lot of cases businesses will cooperate with each other and exchange links. We at UtoldUs (http://www.utoldus.com) provide great relevant ways for you to build links to your website. Depending on your UtoldUs profile type you have different options for link building such as:
Night Clubs and Venues:
– Put a link in the information section by clicking the Edit Information button on your profile. This is a good place to link to your website and related pages of your site such as bookings, schedule, movies etc.
– Link to the VIP list, event page on your website, or just your website when creating event on the invitation card. When creating events on UtoldUs we give you an option to also name a link. Instead of the URL the name will appear on the card and if clicked will bring the user to the URL you set. Search engines like named links giving them more rankings. Don’t just name a link “Click Here”, name it “Lady Ga Ga Party Tickets”.
– Link to promotion coupons or pages that talks about promotions at your venue on promotion cards. When creating a promotion give links a relevant name such as “Razz Club Promo Coupons” instead of just “Print Coupon Here”.
Professionals and Businesses:
– Put a link on your profile by clicking on Edit Information button. Clickable link will appear beside Website label on your page.
– Create links in the Samples section on your profile. These could be links to specific pages of your portfolio. If you are a web designer it could be links to your client websites that you created. If you are a promoter, these could be links to events on your client website. Link to your blog, specific blog articles, twitter, facebook … be creative, there are many places you can link to. Your clients will appreciate it and you will get more traffic to your website. We ask you to give links a name so it appears on the page instead of the entire URL. Search engines like named links giving them more ranking. Don’t just name a link “My blog”, name it “Mark Smith’s Blog”.
– Link to the VIP list, events page on your website, or just your website when creating event on the invitation card. Event links, similar to sample links can have a name, so be creative with that to maximize link effectiveness. Name it “DJ Bono Party Tickets” instead of just “Click here for tickets”
We are open to more ideas about what other link building tools we can create on UtoldUs. E-mail us or comment on this article and we will be happy to have a discussion.
Read more on why Clubs should join UtoldUs.
Read more on why Professionals and Businesses should join UtoldUs.